Thursday, September 13, 2018

Are You Drinking From Your Saucer?


Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. – Ps 23:5

Michael Combs, in the 2nd stanza of the classic poem, “I’m Drinking From My Saucer” writes:

“I thank God for his blessings,
and the mercies He’s bestowed.
I’m drinking from my saucer,
‘Cause my cup has overflowed.”

The Psalmist’s word picture in the phrase, “my cup runs over” is not just speaking of abundance but of EXCESS. It speaks of receiving more than is necessary. That is the kind of God we serve; He’s the One who does exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think (Eph 3:20).

King David has first-hand experience in this. When he told the prophet Nathan of his plans to build a temple for the LORD, he received a most overwhelming and unexpected response: the LORD assured him that not only would his son build the temple, but there would always be a “son of David” on the throne forever – he would be the first and ONLY king to have an eternal dynasty!

In his response, David said, “LORD All-Powerful, my family and I don't deserve what you have already done for us, and yet you have promised to do even more. Is this the way you usually treat people?” 2Sa 7:18,19 (CEV).

Yes, David, that’s the way God treats people. The LORD is “full of compassion, and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in mercy and truth.” (Ps 86:15); He says if you open wide your mouth, He will fill it, (Ps 81:10). He will give you much more that you ask. He will anoint your head with oil, and your cup shall run over! (Ps 23:5).

Hallelujah!

“And as I go along life’s way,
I’m reaping better than I sowed.
I’m drinking from my saucer,
‘Cause my cup has overflowed.”

AMEN.
More Blessings await you today; you’ll not miss them in Jesus’ Name.
GREG ELKAN

No comments:

Post a Comment