Thursday, December 27, 2018

“Nothing in My Hand”


“For everyone that exalts himself shall be abased; and he that humbles himself shall be exalted.” – Luk 18:14.

Our Lord’s parable of “The Pharisee and the Tax Collector” (Luk 18:9-14) highlights a fundamental problem many people have with respect to salvation. God does not judge us relative to our neighbour, our siblings or even humanity in general. Many people like to gloat at the sin and iniquity of the world around them: the corruption, the immorality, the shameless fashion trends, the apathy…

And why wouldn’t they? In a sense, the evil around them makes them saints, in comparison. But God’s judgment isn’t like our educational system – he doesn’t grade us on a curve. Instead of looking at ourselves and our contemporaries to determine our moral grade, we look to God and rate ourselves by his perfect standard of Holiness.

When we do that, like the prophet Isaiah, we’ll cry out, “Woe is me! For I am undone;” (Is 6:5) this is a core requisite of salvation; an acknowledgement of our helplessness and utter sinfulness. Anything else would be arrogant and foolish pride.

When we come to the Cross, we must cry, like the Rev Toplady in his hymn:

Nothing in my hand I bring,
Simply to Thy cross I cling;
Naked, come to Thee for dress;
Helpless, look to Thee for grace;
Foul, I to the fountain fly;
Wash me, Saviour, or I die!

AMEN.
More Blessings await you today; you’ll not miss them in Jesus’ Name.
GREG ELKAN



No comments:

Post a Comment