Wednesday, December 26, 2018

The Response For Sin


The apostle John in 1Jn 2:1,2 says, “My little children, these things write I unto you, that you sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous And He is THE propitiation for our sins.”

There’s a thin line between being sorry for sin and attempting to propitiate for it. Sometimes, the actions we take after sinning are tantamount to adding insult to the injury. Sin is a grave issue with God that required Him sending His Beloved Son to die on the Cross for its propitiation. Therefore, to expect something bad to happen in your life because you sinned is tantamount to a boy etching “GARY WUZ HIA” with a nail on your brand new car and afterwards telling you, “I’m so sorry for what I did. To show you how sorry I am, I’ll not smile when I eat my sweets for the next three days” Would you find that show of remorse appealing? No, as a matter of fact, you would be even more offended as he seems to be trivialising his actions.

Some people say they are so remorseful for their sins that they go on a fast. Some say they’re so sorry that they decide to flog themselves, some decide to wash the church’s toilets, others still cry their heart out. While these may be legitimate instincts we feel for falling short of God’s holy standard, we must be careful not to think that is what God requires or wants to see in us.

The wages of sin is not contrition, the wages of sin is death - eternal separation from God, (Rom 6:23). Remembering this fact puts all our acts of penance into perspective. God’s justice is only fully satisfied by the death of Jesus on the cross.

This is the lesson we learn from the second stanza of our hymn “Rock of Ages”

Not the labour of my hands,
Can fulfill Thy law’s demands;
Could my zeal no respite know,
Could my tears forever flow,
All for sin could not atone;
Thou must save, and Thou alone.

AMEN.
More Blessings await you today; you’ll not miss them in Jesus’ Name.
GREG ELKAN



No comments:

Post a Comment