Thursday, July 14, 2016

WHAT’S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE? (Part 4)
I smiled guiltily the first time I saw this image. It was as though the artist could see into my heart. I admit to this because many years ago, I really, really, really wished this was what happened at the Cross. I wasn’t comfortable with the humiliation, shame and pain that Jesus had to go through in the hands of those vile Roman soldiers and Jewish leaders.

When the High Priest asked that Paul be smitten he got a terse, acidic reply from the Apostle, (Acts 21:1-3);
When King Jeroboam merely assayed to arrest a prophet his arm froze dead (1Kg 13:1-4);
Yet my Lord was spat upon, slapped, flogged, mocked and crucified. And nothing happened.

In my childish mind, I had actually fantasized about this Cross-breaking Jesus: after he has been scourged mocked and crucified, just when they though they’ve given Him the most public of all humiliation, they hear a...

CRACK!!!

Centurion: What was that?
Soldier (stammering): It’s, it’s the cross sir.
Centurion: The cross what?
Soldier: The cross, the man has broken his cross!

(camera pans from centurion to the Christ on the Cross, all muscularly pumped up; he slowly descends to the ground – Iron Man levitating style... and crouches (picture the iconic crouching image of Arnold Schwarzenegger in the Terminator movies);

There’s confusion everywhere: the soldiers are running around, the women are screaming and pointing at the silent Christ, the Pharisees and High Priest are struck with fear knowing that they have gone too far this time;

Jesus rises and looks around at them all:
“Thou dareth crucify Me?” He thunders;
“Dost thou know who I am? I AM the Son of the Living God! NOBODY can touch me!

Then, partly out of madness and partly out of fear, the soldiers rush in on Jesus. Screaming defiantly with weapons raised, they descend on Him; hundreds and hundreds of them...

The battle will be EPIC!

Jesus Christ the SUPERMAN, Jesus the faster-than-FLASH, more-powerful-than-HULK, more-awesome-than-THOR Christ; against all the Roman soldiers.

It would have been an awesome battle...

 “AND YOU WILL STILL BE DEAD IN YOUR SINS TODAY AND DESTINED FOR HELL”, Said a voice in my spirit, abruptly cutting my fantasy short.

“That is exactly what Satan wanted Him to do when he instigated the people around Him to provoke Him with mockery and jeering” (Mat 27:39-49).
“He wanted Him to get down from the Cross because that would have been his (Satan’s) way of doing things.”

“Satan’s way is all about
·         proving a POINT,
·         SHOWing them
·         telling THEM
·         etc.

MY way, on the other hand, is always LOVE”.

“Allowing myself to be crucified may look foolish and weak, but 1Cor 1:25 says, the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men”.

I felt terrible about my fantasy after that Divine rebuke; because it seemed that it was I now who was making mockery of God’s weakness.

I turned back to the Cross…

CRACK!!!

What was that?

It’s the heart of Jesus, broken in sorrow for me: “Father, forgive him; for he knows not what he does”. (Lk 23:34)

Use this moment to thank Jesus, for obeying the Father’s will to the very last. If He didn’t, we wouldn’t be here today.

AMEN
More Blessings await you; you’ll not miss them in Jesus Name.
GREG ELKAN

No comments:

Post a Comment