Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Useless Miracles


There was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and the mother of Jesus was there. – Jn 2:1

Our Lord’s first ever miracle – the turning of water into wine – puts paid to the notion that God does not provide miracles for His children unless it serves a ‘higher purpose’. Of what ‘kingdom’ value was the turning of water into wine? The Lord never used it as premise for a message – the way He used the multiplication of five loaves of bread to set up the stage for His talk about the “true bread” from heaven (John 6)

He never taught the “Parable of the Stranded Couple” or made any reference whatsoever to it in His ministry. As a matter of fact, but for John’s unique chronicling of this event, we’d never have known it even occurred.

Yet we make prayers like, “Lord, if you give me the car, I’ll use it for evangelism”, “If you give me the job, I’ll place tracts on every person’s table each morning” “If you give me food, I’ll fast twice a week”.

(Yes, those thoughts are noble; just like Samuel’s mother, Hannah. Nevertheless, not every barren woman in the Bible took her route.)

James, Jesus’ blood brother (he should know what he’s talking about, right?) chides us that “You don’t have the things you want, because you don’t pray for them;” earlier he states that we should ask of God because “God is generous to everyone and doesn’t find fault with them.” (Jas 4:2; 1:5 GW).

Beloved, I learnt from a reliable source that God – the Monarch of Heaven, the creator of the Universe, the One whom everyone in the world is praying to get a miracle from – is actually your Father! You’re blessed O!

If I were you, I wouldn’t be doing this ‘gentility’ with Him O. I wouldn’t be doing all these “Father I don’t want to bother you”, “Father I know it’s my fault”, “Father, I hope my requests are not getting too much”,…

Na! I’d boldly walk straight to Him – like a certain woman who knew that being related to the Messiah counts for something – and tell Him my need.

AMEN
More Blessings await you today; you’ll not miss them in Jesus’ Name.
GREG ELKAN

No comments:

Post a Comment